You know the feeling… when you have something on your mind… and it’s sitting at the back, mellowing, building a case slowly of irrefutable damage. It’s amazing how at every turn, you notice those elements around you more radically.
It’s like when you first have sex, thereafter, every time you turn on the TV, there seems to be a sex scene, a promiscuous comment or sexually angled element… just while you are watching the Sunday night fliek with your folks.
And you feel as if everyone knows… no one has told them, but you might as well have a huge flashing “no loner virgin” fluorescent sign on your forehead… they just know!
Its like when you deal with a pregnancy scare with one of the girls, there seems to be a throng of glowing fertile women on the verge of popping, chasing you both around town, lurking on every street corner. It’s as if you’re chicken feed, and they can’t get enough… it plays on your mind.
So why am I now so brutally aware of the situation all my friends seem to be heading in…
I feel as if I’ve been living in a bubble, and all of a sudden *POPPP* it’s gone…. And so many around me are engaged, moving in together, or smugly married.
Did I miss something?
We are only 24, life is young… we are young…!!! So why the hurry?
Have I had my head in the clouds for so long, that this blissful coupley life has passed me by?
I'm in a relationship; but because I'm actually in one - the question seems to be - when are you two trying the knott. Why? Can a woman just not date a guy without it having to lead to white picket fences and bonds?
Yeah, I'm dating the Real Estate Agent (REA), but I don't plan on marrying "REA". I've already told him that!
So why all the questions, comments and pressures?
But now when people ask why I'm not yet married - I gracefully reply: "Oh I'm actually Gay, and my entire relationship is a lie - to keep people like you off my back".
I wonder if its working?
And then I watch them choke on their mojitos…
