Monday, April 12, 2010

Modern Age Fun...

Do you ever watch little kids scribbling on pieces of scrap paper, drawing with such commitment, fully engrossed in the masterpiece before them… and envy them?

For the young ‘uns, drawing and painting expands the imagination, occupies the mind and allows them to be absorbed in their own thoughts and fantasies…of dragon slayers, fairies, and little houses made entirely of chocolate and marshmallows….

But on the contrary, unless you are a designer, children’s book illustrator, art director, or otherwise art fundie, how often do you allow yourself to let go as unashamedly as they do?
My answer; not that often.

There seems to be a spazz social stigma against getting your hands, (and face and jeans in my case) covered in fuchsia pink and gold acrylic paint….
I had the incredible opportunity today to chuck the heels, don the French artists beret, and get down and dirty with all the bright colours of the rainbow in the mix.

Paintjamming it is called, and Wembley Square in i-Kape, lets you the adult kick back, relax and express whatever it is you have…in a fuuucking fabulous way.
You get the canvas, a lesson in technique and brushes, and as much acrylic goo as you can smear and splash and play with in 2 hours.

I’ve never proclaimed to be an artist with a paint brush or pen… I’m only capable of talentless stick men images that give hope to blind people everywhere, but that doesn’t take away from the pure enjoyment of it all… and besides… “abstract baby… abstract” is the only defence you will ever need.

It really is…dare I say FUN…..?
I know there are a hell of a lot of adjectives out there that build on “fun”… but that is exactly what it is… innocently childish FUN…

Fun like sucking on bunnylicks, till there is no sweetness left…
Fun like swinging at the park and touching the sky…
Fun like singing in the rain...barefoot….

So my artwork… I say this loosely… will hang in my place for all to see that some days it pays to just be free.. and get your hands (and hair and clothes) dirrrty…