Saturday, June 12, 2010

Football Friday!

I’m going to say it  ... I love my country!

Watched the opening ceremony surrounded by a throw of banana yellow T’s in the office bar before hitting the later game.
Open bar Fridays really are a joy! Invite all your friends they said. I don’t need a second invitation!

Picture a group of mismatched folk all screaming out a national anthem and glowing with pride – and it was only 4pm. There was a definitive emotional train being caught by all the ladies. Whilst I’m sure the guys all felt it too, they were better at holding back.


The battle of Pinotage vs Tequilla endured, and saw me supporting tequila, only because you can drink it faster and yell “OLE”! a LOT!!!
Threw in a few shouts of “Ayoba” and ”YOH, YOH, YOH” for good measure (so good you have to say it 3 times for impact)

So whilst standing on the furniture for a full 90 mins – yelling at the flatscreen – because of course they can hear my qualified advice – the rest of the crew were knocking back the better half of the bar stock.
Am sure I had a very in-depth convo with an 8 year old as to why my bafana T was way cooler than his. I’m positive I won that argument! Why not?

4 Redbull Vodkas later, and a few more tequilas to keep warm, set foot for the stadium - The Mother City was abuzz with energy, the stadium acting as a honing beacon... it drew us in for 8pm like bugs drawn to its luminescence. Fan-tas-tic!!!

Apart from having nosebleed seats (seats so high your nose bleeds), it was in one word – AWESOME!!! 
Apparently there were no goals scored – who cares! We sat next to some Frenchie hotties and flirted our little local bums off. Objective of the evening achieved!

The vuvuzela may be an international symbol for “Africa”, but I have to admit – my ears feel as if they are still bleeding.

Cant wait to do it all again on Monday!